Blueberries. Known in our house as “bloobs.” They are EASILY my favorite fruit. Naturally low in sugar, full of health benefits, and super tasty. It’s blueberry time in southern New Jersey, and I couldn’t be happier. If you haven’t stocked up yet – HURRY! It’s the end of the season. Not convinced you need to eat these delicious little nuggets yet? Well, here are some bloob facts to change your mind:
- Blueberries are loaded with antioxidants. What does this mean? Some of the stuff in bloobs can help “carry out” stuff your body doesn’t need – things that could eventually build up and cause BIG issues, like cancers and degenerative disease.
- There are some B-vitamins in blueberries, and those bad boys will help your body in breaking down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Yay metabolism!
- Blueberries contain compounds that can help increase focus and even protect your brain from memory loss.
- They are delicious in smoothies. Keep reading…
The recipe I have for you today is quite simple, and happened by accident – much like many of my recipes do!
Nick and I were driving home from the Jersey Shore, and we go right through blueberry country to get back home. So I told him, if we see a farm stand, we NEED to stop!!! Well, we went almost the entire drive without seeing one open, and I was disappointed. Then, about two minutes from our destination, I remembered.
“STOP, WE HAVE TO STOP!!!” There it was. We ended up at Rose’s, a local farm stand just outside of my hometown. At this point, it was the end of the day and they were technically closed, but the nice woman gave me the go ahead to grab some items. So, I got jersey tomatoes, and of course – the bloobs. At the checkout, she offered me a whole bouquet of basil, for free!! Who turns down basil, let alone FREE basil, RIGHT?! So I skipped to the car and told Nick the great news.
Flash forward to meal time, when I had to wash off the bloobs and basil. Well, I dried the basil first, THEN the blueberries – and the towel, I guess held onto some of the fresh yummy basil flavor. So the bloobs were basil flavored – and I wanted MORE!!! So this super simple recipe was born. If you don’t have a blender, literally just eat them together – it will be an amazing flavor combo. Don’t forget to check out the shopping list at the end of the post and leave a comment about your favorite bloob recipes!
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup basil
- pinch of vanilla bean powder
- 5 oz coconut cream
- water to blend
- 1. Put all ingredients in blender.
- 2. Blend!
*note: if you purchase an item through one of these links, I may make a small commission – this will help me so I can keep giving you delicious recipes and health tips for free! I only link to products I have experience with & use myself. Thank you for your support!