Okay, so I have been avoiding sugar because I eat at ketogenic, Paleo diet. This means not binging on fruit.. Cuz ya know, sugar is sugar. I’ll take my bacon and coconut oil any day. BUT, we still need the amazing antioxidants and phyonutrients from different fruits – especially berries, so fruit IS allowed on a keto way of eating, despite what you may have heard!
Right now my doctor has jurisdiction over my eating habits – to avoid yeast overgrowth – so absolutely no sugar (not even honey), no alcohol, no nuts, and no dairy (not even raw cheese or butter from grass fed cows!). So, being the food-lover I am, I found a way to conquer the dairy-free, sugar-free beast. Because sometimes I just want a muffin, and damn if I’m not going to enjoy it!
Enter those mouth-watering-easier-shown-than-done recipes in the form of videos taking over your Facebook news feed. I saw one with mashed bananas, eggs, and berries. Bananas are high in sugar, but my keto-brain was quickly doing some math. If I make smaller muffins… add coconut oil… calculate net carbs.. the berries are super nutritious.. you get low carb, paleo, sugar free treats! And it seriously was super easy.
If you know me, you know I CANNOT follow a recipe exactly for the life of me. Not because I can’t read instructions, but because I am always making improvements and thinking how things could be even better! So I made some modifications – smaller muffins, I chopped up fresh strawberries, and added Himalayan salt and vanilla bean powder. Vanilla bean powder is great because it is alcohol-free, and a tiny bag of it has lasted me for a year (and I use it every day in smoothies and all my “sweet” recipes).
Can you say, YUM?! I know what you are thinking – won’t these overwhelmingly taste like bananas? Are they too eggy? Well, if you follow a low carb way of eating I will tell you.. You will look past the banana flavor and they are NOT too eggy! Store them in the fridge or freezer… When you’re hungry, pop ’em in the toaster oven for a warm treat! Don’t forget some extra coconut oil!
My recipe modifications & tips are below.
Let me know what you think – did you add different berries? Not a banana fan?
- 2 Bananas
- 4 Eggs
- Strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 pinch Vanilla Bean Powder
- 1 pinch Himalayan Salt
- Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 390° Fahrenheit
- Smush the bananas with a fork. The smoother the better.
- Then add the eggs.** this step is really important. Bananas first, then eggs. This is one of those weird baking things that doesn't make sense, but trust me on this one.
- Add salt & vanilla bean powder, and then combine it all thoroughly once more.
- Grease the muffin tin or silicone cups with some coconut oil. Toss in your berries.
- Now pour the batter mixture over the berries.
- Place in your pre-heated oven (390 F) for around 12 minutes.
- Once they turn golden-brown, they're finished.
- Let them cool a bit before eating. I like to pop 'em out, put some coconut oil on top, and eat them warm!
- You could also grease the muffin tins or silicone liners with butter